It is every homeowner’s nightmare, the dreadful day that you have been putting off for weeks, months or even years. That whistling sound during windy days, that slight water stain on the edges of your window sill, and the television volume on full blast to drown out the sound of loud neighborhood kids is just eating away at you. Don’t be scared. Marvin replacement windows in New Jersey are cheaper than you might think and will save you money each month on your energy bill.
In addition to uncomfortable drafts and potential water damage, faulty windows can lead up to 75% heat loss during the winter months. And, according to the California Energy Commission a dual-pane vinyl window can reduce your summer energy bill by 7-15% in coastal areas and between 13-38% in high sun light areas.
So how do you know if you need new windows? Other than the obvious signs which include cracks in your window pane or shattered glass under where a window used to be, there are a few less subtle tell tale signs that every homeowner should know if you need new fiberglass replacement windows:
- Fogging Inside Window Pane – If you can visually see a frosty glaze of a foggy substance in between your two window panes it may be due to poor ventilation, insufficient insulation, or a seal failure.
- Cold Drafts – A cold draft in the summer is fine. A cool draft in the winter, not so much. Drafty windows will most definitely increase your energy bill both in the winter months and summer months.
- Lack of Strength – If your window cannot remain open on its own and you have to prop it up to keep it open, that is not a good sign.
- Difficulty Moving – You may run into difficulties opening and closing your windows. While this is more common in older homes with original windows it can happen to newer windows. This prevents a fire hazard.
- Sound issues – You should not be able to hear your neighbors across the street as if they were standing just outside your house. Most new windows provide insulated glass for sound reduction.
The real question is what are you scared of? According to the Remodeling 2011-12 Cost vs. Value Report, studies show replacing older, inefficient windows with new vinyl replacement windows have a higher projected return on investment than several other home projects including adding an addition, a bathroom remodel, a major kitchen remodel, and the replacement of a roof. The Marvin Coastal Complete Collection of premium windows and doors offers your home protection from wind, rain, humidity, salt and sun. And, with great energy efficiency, you’ll be securing your home against drafts or wasted energy.